Gurtam Map Speed limitations Layer

(08/06/2020 13:33:06 отредактировано hhamedk)

Тема: Gurtam Map Speed limitations Layer

Hi GT

Wialon has possibility of detecting speed limitations from Gurtam Map. It would be great if you add possibility of viewing these data as a Map Layer (like traffic layer) on Gurtam map in a way that user can activate it or deactivate it. As I guess you will say such layer has huge load on Gurtam Map I have two offer for solving that:

1. You may read these data from Gurtam map for all countries and update the layer once a month.

2. At least you can change the Address Tool to Reverse Geocoding Tool and add possibility to that tool to show not only address of chosen point on map but also speed limitation of nearest way to the point in appropriate field. In this way there won't be any heavy request on Gurtam Map and user has possibility to check if the speed limit is correct or not and in case of incorrect speed limitation can simply ask you to correct it.

Re: Gurtam Map Speed limitations Layer

Hi Again

Regarding Speed Limitation layer I mean something like attached screenshot from https://www.openstreetbrowser.org.
I attached somewhere from Minsk ;-)

• Gurtam Map Speed limitations Layer

(16/06/2020 16:42:16 отредактировано hhamedk)

Gurtam team, any response?

hi Hamed, hhamedk
I am sorry you had to wait for a reply for such a long time.
generally the idea is clear. before we talk about the technical side of it, I would like to ask you to explain the necessity of such a request. how such a map layer will help you? assuming that in Wialon the speed limits are already displayed on the roads, how will you use this information?
---

hhamedk пишет:

2. At least you can change the Address Tool to Reverse Geocoding Tool and add possibility to that tool to show not only address of chosen point on map but also speed limitation of nearest way to the point in appropriate field. In this way there won't be any heavy request on Gurtam Map and user has possibility to check if the speed limit is correct or not and in case of incorrect speed limitation can simply ask you to correct it.

first of all, I would like to say that the Address tool presently already allows to perform direct and reverse geocoding.

>>> but also speed limitation of nearest way to the point in appropriate field.

do you mean that you would like to know what are the speed limits on the whole way to the point that was searched for in the Address tool?

>>> user has possibility to check if the speed limit is correct or not and in case of incorrect speed limitation can simply ask you to correct it.

what source users will use to check if the speed limits provided by Gurtam Maps are not correct?

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

mars wrote:

how such a map layer will help you? assuming that in Wialon the speed limits are already displayed on the roads, how will you use this information?

Such layer not only be useful for customers to see the speed limitations of each road on map while they want to check specific road speed limitation but also many users can check speed limitations of Gurtam Map (while they are working with Wialon) and report possible mistakes and we as your partners can pass these cases to you to improve Gurtam Map accuracy.

do you mean that you would like to know what are the speed limits on the whole way to the point that was searched for in the Address tool?

Now, in Address Tool when we click on a specific point on map we receive its address (reverse geocoding). What I mean is that to receive the speed limitation for selected point on map. Based on my experience maps in such a case will choose the nearest "way" to the selected point and will response speed limitation of that "way".

what source users will use to check if the speed limits provided by Gurtam Maps are not correct?

From real life and based on traffic signs in cities and roads. Just like the way some big map providers collect data in cooperation of amateur users and reports.

Hi Hamed,
hhamedk

thanks for the explanation. although I like the idea of having a dedicated to speed limits layer (especially because of a potential possibility that our users will inform us on the need to update the info if it is not accurate), I still struggle to understand how else than that users will benefit from such a layer.

will let say dispatchers inform drivers on the fact that there is a particular speed limit on the road they are moving along? isn't it more convenient that a driver uses some navigation application to know the speed limit?

what can be other real life cases? please share.

hhamedk пишет:

Now, in Address Tool when we click on a specific point on map we receive its address (reverse geocoding). What I mean is that to receive the speed limitation for selected point on map. Based on my experience maps in such a case will choose the nearest "way" to the selected point and will response speed limitation of that "way".

but this "way" can have several speed limitation along it. what speed limitation should the system display in this case?

the case that I see here is system showing the time it will take the user to get to the specified point taking into account the speed limitation. but for such a case there is no need in the corresponding layer.

Maria Starikova,

Hi Masha, mars

will let say dispatchers inform drivers on the fact that there is a particular speed limit on the road they are moving along? isn't it more convenient that a driver uses some navigation application to know the speed limit?

what can be other real life cases? please share.

There is no other case in my mind and you may say that you need real life cases. I want to say while Google Map (as an example) consider traffic data in its routing algorithm, then what is the necessity of having traffic layers in Google Map. As we all know the main purpose of graphic layers of maps and tiles is to show users some information and I believe that Speed limitations Layer will improve GM quality.

but this "way" can have several speed limitation along it. what speed limitation should the system display in this case?

Right now in any map when you use reverse geocoding service there are many different attributes but the system will show you the nearest one. If you mean in reverse geocoding we receive address data like:

Country
Region
City
Street
House

And as reverse geocoding in speed imitation in same order will response different speeds, then I say that in reverse geocoding of speed limitation we need only the last part which means speed limitation of nearest way to selected point, exactly like when you receive this data from map and compare with unit speed to detect speed violations.

the case that I see here is system showing the time it will take the user to get to the specified point taking into account the speed limitation. but for such a case there is no need in the corresponding layer.

Didn't get you. Please explain.

mars, any update?

hhamedk пишет:

I want to say while Google Map (as an example) consider traffic data in its routing algorithm, then what is the necessity of having traffic layers in Google Map.

In this case traffic layer is a bit different from speed limits. We can even imagine a situation from real life, not GPS-monitoring. When I am travelling in the city center by car, I want to learn what is traffic there to know which way to select even without building a route. However, I can hardly imagine a situation where I will look into the map to understand what are the speed limits in the particular parts of the way I will travel.

mars пишет:

I meant that notifications about breaching the speed limits as well as taking speed limits into account (both of which we support in Wialon) is where speed limits can be necessary. But for these features there is still no need in a separate layer of speed limits.

Maria Starikova,