Unit Profile: Easier Way of Configuring Units

(17/04/2021 14:22:50 отредактировано Fernando Brochetto)

Тема: Unit Profile: Easier Way of Configuring Units

Hello GT and partners,

Problem:
Generally when we create a unit, we follow some paterns like the advanced settings, sensors, type of the tracker, eco driving settings..., according to many aspects as client, solution, tracker...
But the problem about this is that it take some time to change this properties importing/exporting the configurations and subject to human mistakes.
For example, when we have to create a unit that have GV55 installed in a client, if he have only FM920 in the fleet, we copy a general unit and then transfer sensors/commands/... settings from a standard unit created in a account we have only for tests (or from an archive) and then transfer for the new unit.
Also, for example, when we install a unit with lots of sensors, its complicated to import the right sensor for the unit, for example, installing a equipment that read the can bus.

Solution:
Create unit profiles: this unit profile could be changed very easily, it could be inside the basic tab of the unit properties.
When we change the profile, all the settings we want to have by stantard are changed according to what you have set.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Re: Unit Profile: Easier Way of Configuring Units

Hi Fernando, Fernando Brochetto
To tell the truth, it was quite complicated to figure out what your request is about, but I will try anyway smile

Is my understanding correct that you want to have some kind of template (which you call a profile) for each type of device that you install for your clients?

This can be helpful for the following case: let's say you have a template for Teltonika FMB920 with all the necessary configurations - general settings, sensors, additional info, eco-driving criteria, etc. Then you have a client that installs e.g. 100 units of this Teltonika model. Instead of separately setting up all of these 100 units one by one you want to assign the existing template to all of them. Is this correct?

If the case that I describe is correct, could you please explain why copying of units and exporting/importing of unit properties does not solve this task?

If not, then I would appreciate some further explanations.

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

Hello mars,

could you please explain why copying of units and exporting/importing of unit properties does not solve this task?

It’s not that exporting / importing doesn’t solve it, the problem is that it’s too complicated for something that could be simpler. Also, it take some time because you have to be sur on what you're doing.
When you start doing the process you have to select the object/document you want to copy the settings.
Then you'll have to select the sensors, commands and in the end, the units that will be set.
Especially this part requires a lot of care, because if you select more than one unit, you need to be very carefull not to copy the new settings to the wrong unit (happens a lot hahaha)

---

Using profiles would make easier to change configurations, you just open the unit, select the profile, press OK and now you know that every configuration you want is correct. The idea of using profiles could also be used on reports to know very easily if all the vehicles are right configurated, a report that shows the unit + the profile.

Fernando Brochetto

Hi Fernando, Fernando Brochetto
Thanks a lot for the details you provided. At least I know that I understood you correctly in terms of templates.

Is it right to say that templates should be based on the type of the device that is installed on the unit? Which presupposes that the same device will have the same set of sensors and commands (at least)? Or there can be other criteria for a template? What are they?

Fernando, I just want to let you know that we are considering some sort of simplification in the process of unit creation which is having templates for sensors (based on the device type) as long as we know that sensors installed on the devices of the same type are equal. This is not a full template as you envision it, but a nice feature which addresses your idea as well.

By the way, what about copying units? I mean that you create one unit of a particular device type, set it up to have all the necessary data inside it and copy it to other units of the same type. Does not this solve your task?

Maria Starikova,

Hello mars,

Is it right to say that templates should be based on the type of the device that is installed on the unit?

Yes, they are based on the solution, but because there are differences in the protocols of the trackers, it is first from trackers and them from the solution you are offering to the client.

Which presupposes that the same device will have the same set of sensors and commands (at least)? Or there can be other criteria for a template? What are they?

For example, when we use GV55, the client will need in like 95% of the cases the common sensors/commands attached, because the tracker is used only for simple telemetry, the tracker ins't conectted to any sensor in the vehicle, just a fuel cut. The client use basic reports like trips, parkings, summary and if needed they lock the vehicle, this is the most common use, but we use also FMB920 for this case, so the sensors and commands for this tracker is different.
But sometimes we use the same tracker for locking the truck trunk, so the commands and sensors will be different. This is just an example for the 5% left.

When we use a tracker from CAN, we are generally using now GV300CAN and we need also to have the configuration of the counters set in the profile: from absolut mileage and engine hours sensors. As we use RFID readers too, the client must have a command that he can enable/disable the fuel cut in cases where the installation of the readers has been compromised.

---

By the way, what about copying units? I mean that you create one unit of a particular device type, set it up to have all the necessary data inside it and copy it to other units of the same type. Does not this solve your task?

Generally is what we do actually, but sometimes we have problems in the access, for example: we create a new unit in a client that have lots of user access. If we copy from a unit that every user have access rights we'll face some problems.
Another case is that when we have to change the tracker, for example, a GV55 for a FMB920 we cannot copy the unit. We'll have to keep the same unit and just change the properties of it.

---

PS: I thing we should take care on profiles is that sensors that need calibration, like FLS, we should have a way to keet the calibration table inside the sensor.

Опубликовать вложения

Иконка вложений 3022 - GV300CAN - CAN bus + RFID reader.wlp 5.99 Кб, файл был скачан 144 раз(а) 

Иконка вложений IUZ5554 - Common FMB920.wlp 2.29 Кб, файл был скачан 161 раз(а) 

Иконка вложений JAA8E58 - Common GV55.wlp 2.36 Кб, файл был скачан 145 раз(а) 

Иконка вложений JAM5C13 - GV55 + Lock.wlp 2.62 Кб, файл был скачан 154 раз(а) 

Fernando Brochetto

Fernando Brochetto
Hi Fernando, thank you very much for your explanation.

So from the described above, I see that that mostly what is common among devices of the same type are sensors and commands.

You also mentioned that a part of the template can be the configuration of counters (when CAN is used), but this is a more rare case. That's why I believe that the automatic creation of sensors (and maybe even commands) can be a good solution for your needs and definitely something easier in implementation and more global in terms of usage.

As long as we have already been thinking about automatic sensor creation, it is most likely that we will develop this feature instead of unit templates (if we generally decide for such an implementation).

Maria Starikova,