Group Mini-map

Тема: Group Mini-map

Hello,
I have suggestion for a new feature, mini-maps for group of vehicles.
Sometimes clients wants to follow more than one vehicle, but groups of them, this feature is good for companyes who uses in majority the real-time tracking, such as emergency services, gas distributors...

• Group Mini-map
Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Group Mini-map

Re: Group Mini-map

Hi GT and Fernando Brochetto

I really believe that Minimap can be useful if we have a separate tab for them and not to open them over the main UI of Wialon. What you think? It even can be a sub-menu, but the way they are now is really annoying.

Group Mini-map

Hello hhamedk,
This is actually a better idea, perhaps a button to switch them like there was to choose between Dashboard and Monitoring.

Fernando Brochetto

Group Mini-map

Hi, Fernando Brochetto and hhamedk

To continue this discussion let's get back to what is the use case of mini-windows. As far as I can see it, mini-maps are designed to show the information for a particular unit or several units that should be tracked additionally to tracking other units. Thus, it is necessary to see in the screen at the same time both a unit/units on the map and information in mini-windows.

What is the purpose of dedicating a separate something to mini-windows? How many mini-windows do you usually have in the screen?

---
Fernando Brochetto
Commenting to your initial post I would like to ask: what should happen when you double click on the unit group? Should the system open mini-windows for all units in the group?

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

Group Mini-map

Helooo mars,

Commenting to your initial post I would like to ask: what should happen when you double click on the unit group? Should the system open mini-windows for all units in the group?

Yess

What is the purpose of dedicating a separate something to mini-windows? How many mini-windows do you usually have in the screen?

I think that the reason of this idea is just to separate the map appearing behind because if everything is selected to appear the screen have so many content it can confuse you sometimes. Perhaps making the button of mini-maps switch working in three steps:

1) Only the huge map;
2) Only mini-maps;
3) Both.

• Group Mini-map
Fernando Brochetto

Group Mini-map

mars wrote:

Currently we just present the Mini-Map feature for clients and we never use it. Yes, it's good to open a unit's Mini-Map while a notification triggers but in other cases (specially when you are talking about big fleets) this function is not useful as opening 2-3 Mini-Maps is enough to cover the main UI!!!
So, most customers want to have 2 different type of online monitoring approaches:

1. Monitoring the whole fleet as a big picture of fleet working in a big territory like a province or a country.
2. Selectively monitor some units which are special based on many different criteria which is important for the customer.

Considering this opening 2-3 Mini-Maps which will cover the main map is not useful at all. Switching between 2 tabs (main map and mini maps) is a good idea to cover both mentioned requirements.
The Mini-Maps tab in my opinion should have possibility of scrolling and also a simple setting to set the Grid like 2x2 or 5x7 etc which will automatically arrange Mini-Maps based on Grid settings.  Then it will be possible to monitor any number of units in Mini-Maps easily and if you need to back yo the Big Picture of fleet you just switch to it's tab.

Group Mini-map

Dear Hamed and Fernando, hhamedk Fernando Brochetto

Thanks for additional details. However, I still cannot embrace the idea of a separate interface for mini-windows to its full. 

As I see it and as I have mentioned already, the use case for mini-maps is to monitor several special units additionally to monitoring basic set of units. With this said, I believe that map in the Monitoring tab plus mini-maps performs its task - the screenshot of Fernando attests to this and shows that 2-3 mini-maps that are in the front of the map is totally fine.

Group Mini-map

To convince you of the fact that separate interface of the mini-map is not the best idea, just imagine that you have 7-8 mini-maps on the screen. This seems to be just the same as observing this group of units on the map on the Monitoring tab. So there seems to be no profit in separate screens for mini-maps. However, I see that maybe the issue is not in the mini-maps, but in the necessity to monitor on the map different groups of units at one time? Is this right?

hhamedk пишет:

1. Monitoring the whole fleet as a big picture of fleet working in a big territory like a province or a country.
2. Selectively monitor some units which are special based on many different criteria which is important for the customer.

---
At this point in time the suggestion does not seem to be that popular, but I will keep an eye on it and wait for other partners to vote for it. And we can surely continue the discussion here.

• Group Mini-map
Maria Starikova,

Group Mini-map

(15/03/2021 20:42:02 отредактировано Fernando Brochetto)

Hello mars,

but in the necessity to monitor on the map different groups of units at one time? Is this right?

Exactly, this is the main idea of the topic, creating another tab for mini maps was just a discussion of the idea.

Fernando Brochetto

Group Mini-map

Fernando Brochetto
But monitoring on the map different groups of units at one time could not necessarily be implemented by adding a separate interface for mini-maps. So I was mislead smile

Maria Starikova,