Improvement in Messages: Deleting and Editing

(04/12/2020 16:57:58 отредактировано Fernando Brochetto)

Тема: Improvement in Messages: Deleting and Editing

Hello,
I have three suggestions for some improvements that would facilitate our job dealing with the tab messages:

1. Allowing the use of "Shift" to select a interval of messages: would facilitate the selection of messages to delete.
2. Create a tool to delete a interval of messages: sometimes a client asks for deleting the messages in a period, like a week, for example, selecting the period to delete would facilitate this cases.
3. Editing messages: sometimes we have messages with wrong information, like GPS and speed, for example, editing the speed and the coordinate is better than just deleting the message, because sometimes when you delete the messages you lose some important informations, like the time that the vehicle has turn off the engine.

Fernando Brochetto
Technical Support, Rastreasul

fernando@rastreasul.com.br

Re: Improvement in Messages: Deleting and Editing

Dear Fernando, Fernando Brochetto

Generally your suggestions are great, especially the first one that concerns Shift, as it will significantly improve the usability side of the product.

However, two out of three suggestions concern deleting of the messages. And my question here is whether your clients really delete messages so often? Could you please tell what is the reason they have messages (even long periods of messages) that need to be deleted?

I always assumed that there can be one or two messages that are incorrect or irrelevant, but have never heard of the cases that messages for the period of the whole week should be deleted. Would be glad if you share.

In regards to editing of messages, do you often have cases that there is some wrong information in them that you would like to edit? Where do you get information on the correct GPS-coordinates and speed?

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

deleting messages for a selected interval will be great.

it took a lot of time to delete messages right now, but this idea will reduce the work very nuch.

Hello mars, how are you?

And my question here is whether your clients really delete messages so often? Could you please tell what is the reason they have messages (even long periods of messages) that need to be deleted?

Generally isn't the client that delete the messages, we do delete the messages. We doesn't give access to the service unless the client register events in the platform. But we could really change our mind if these improvements were applied.

1. When we install a new tracker, sometimes it already have mesages inside its memory, so if youre not fast or you're not observing, the tracker upload a lot of messages that is not from the vehicle it have being installed.

2. We have clients that give access to other companies and they doesn't want that some services appear in the reports, they prefer just to delete these messages (generally more than 5 days).

--

In regards to editing of messages, do you often have cases that there is some wrong information in them that you would like to edit? Where do you get information on the correct GPS-coordinates and speed?

I think that it is between 2 - 20 cases per week, it changes a lot according to the day. The correct answer I usually find by analyzing the positions and assuming one that could possibly be the real one (sometimes the star effect happens and a client get angry), speed I look for an average and assume one among the previous ones.

Fernando Brochetto

Hi Fernando Fernando Brochetto,

Fernando Brochetto пишет:

When we install a new tracker, sometimes it already have mesages inside its memory, so if youre not fast or you're not observing, the tracker upload a lot of messages that is not from the vehicle it have being installed.

Thanks for explanation, the idea is clear. However, I am interested to know how often does this happen. If it is a second hand tracker, than yes, there can be messages that are in the memory (black box) and are sent out to Wialon once the tracker is on. But you talk about new devices and for new devices this seems to be quite a rare situation and happens only in cases when the tracker was not tested correctly when being produced.

What services do you mean under

Fernando Brochetto пишет:

2. We have clients that give access to other companies and they doesn't want that some services appear in the reports, they prefer just to delete these messages (generally more than 5 days).

?

hasan.ahmed 
Hasan, it would be great if you could also share why you need to delete messages for long periods of time.

---
In regards to editing messages, I should say that I generally do not support the idea of editing messages. In messages we show just the information we receive from a device and giving an ability to edit it leads to actually having an ability to alter the data to store any information the user may want and not also for the sake of good intentions. It is just like editing bills or bank papers smile

If a star effect takes place, than these are just 1-2 wrong messages that can be deleted.

Maria Starikova,
Wialon Hosting Product manager, Gurtam

Hello mars,

If a star effect takes place, than these are just 1-2 wrong messages that can be deleted.

Actually depends a lot on each case, if the vehicle is in a workshop for example, many messages will appear: everything depends on whether the customer wants the messages to be deleted or not.

I am interested to know how often does this happen

This example is not very often, what I mean to be fast is because we can just send a command to these trackers to clear the buffer if we see this event happening, althought we'll need in the same way to clear some messages,

What services do you mean under?

Until today we only had these demands with companies that work with heavy machinery: earthmoving and construction services.

I should say that I generally do not support the idea of editing messages.

I understand, but actually this is already possible. We've already exported some messages in wln, deleted them in Wialon, edited the exported file in notepad and them imported again hahaha. The idea is to use this tool "honestly".

Fernando Brochetto