Geolocation from Google geolocation API for WIFI APs

Тема: Geolocation from Google geolocation API for WIFI APs

Hi Gurtam

Has consideration been given to implementing additional geolocation lookup (not geocoding), based on WIFI MAC association via Google API?

I note a lot of hardware is on the market or the near-technology horizon that enables geolocation through WIFI AP (and cellsites), using embedded WIFI tech that sniffs its environment, and includes the detected MACs in device syntax structure within its protocol.  A lot of this hardware is already integrated into Wialon. and could be used for geolocation similar to the existing LBS feature.

Implementing a feature would expand tracking capability from GPS/GSM to WIFI/GSM/Sigfox/LoRaWAN etc..., with a greater degree of accuracy than LBS.  For battery powered, autonomous devices, the power savings realized by using WIFI as opposed to GPS would have significant impact on deployment options, mission life, hardware choices, recurring costs and so on.

The benefits to Wialon partners, integrators and end users would be immense.

Thoughts?

Re: Geolocation from Google geolocation API for WIFI APs

place-n-trace do you know other providers than Google for this service? Can anyone explain how our laptops location is recognized? In Windows I'm sure they don't use Google API.

hhamedk пишет:

Can anyone explain how our laptops location is recognized?

It is almost the same technique, like GSM LBS.

Any big provider (of OS, or any service, that continuously monitor GPS coordinates in big amounts) can send along with GPS signal also list and strength of WiFi/other network signals.

Then this data needs to be analyzed, and if some BSSID (unique WiFi hardware identifier) is always near some GPS-coordinates, service can remember its position.

Then when you have no GPS signal, or it is weak, you send list of nearest WiFi points and service can tell your location. With some math applied, it can be precise enough.

+1 Wifi positioning will be very nice to have.

guys, i hope you have in mind that ALL this Geolocation providers are charging PER Request.
So if you are requesting this from Gurtam, they will need to pay by request and will need to charge you by request which can make your costs exploding!

Wolf.

(p.s. google just changed their price scheme from a flat fee to a completely usage based fee!)

Politeness dictates it to write his name on a post

Hi place-n-trace

We cannot form our own service with GPS positions of WiFi points because of a small amount of hardware that sends detailed information about WiFi or other networks.
So that's why the only other option is to use external resources and we do not plan to do this yet.

Pavel Chabai
Business Analyst, Gurtam

Hi Pash

I accept that there is a small - yet growing - number of GPS/GSM/WIFI enabled devices on the market at present, but a mere environmental scan of IoT devices that have emerged and will continue to emerge that provide asset proximity awareness that is considerably more power frugal than traditional GPS tracking shows a growing trend.

Chipsets are getting cheaper.  CATM-1 and NBIOT will reduce the bottom line of device manufacturing.  Wifi is another geolocation tool - similar to LBS.

By my reckoning, the following devices currently support wifi MAC AP capture that should allow for geolocation proxemics:

Meitrack P99G
Digital Matter devices (Yabby and Falcon)
TK10
Micron Prime Bolt
Some Queclink devices
GalileoSky Wifi 7.0
Loka

... to name a few.  There are some premium vendors and hardware manufacturers (and some Gurtam partners) that have implemented this tech.  Perhaps Gurtam should follow the trend?

In simple terms, it should work the same way that LBS lookup does?

@pash ??

I am not sure how to add my vote, but I know we do have devices that are able to collect Wifi Data that I have put to test manually to test the Google's Wifi Geolocation servies.

It would be an added value of being able to bring indoor tracking to some current and some future devices. It would allow in some cases to sell more devices because they are capable to locate indoors as well as outdoors using GPS.

There are other providers of Wifi based Geo location services such as Combain, however Google has the advantage as it can be bundled with the cost of their map layers.

Right now we do not yet plan to integrate Google's LBS and WiFi positioning databases.
There are still too few units that send detailed WiFi information. In the future, when the number of devices that can use WiFi positioning will change, we can consider this integration.

Pavel Chabai
Business Analyst, Gurtam