Installation of Fuel Level Sensors - Advice/Tips for first time instal

Тема: Installation of Fuel Level Sensors - Advice/Tips for first time instal

Dear All

We will be doing an installation of a Fuel Level Sensor from Technoton starting Monday for the first time.

We have carefully studied the installation manual from Technoton and seen the videos.

We will need to drill a new hole in the tank to install the FLS which means we will have to empty the tank, clean it, remove all of vapours, etc.

If any of you have already done this, do you have any advice, tips, best practice, that you picked up while doing this and share them here with us?

Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Best

Robert

Re: Installation of Fuel Level Sensors - Advice/Tips for first time instal

Better ask this directly from Technoton support team

Eduard Vald / GoGPS Service
www.gogps.eu

GoGPS пишет:

Better ask this directly from Technoton support team

Hello Eduard

Indeed, we have been in touch with Technoton to go through the procedures. We just wanted to see if other people had any further advice for us.

The truck model is Mercedes Axor 1828 from a few years ago, around 2008.

RobertoS, if you install it to diesel fuel tank - from my experience I would say that it's enough to drain the fuel out - no need to clean it completely and remove all vapours. Diesel is not extremely flammable
But if the fuel tank has a thick layer of mud on the bottom - I would recommend to clean the tank out (and bill the customer wink ).

What is more important - to make calibration table properly. How you gonna make it? Do you have a fuel pump and a reservoir where you gonna pump all the fuel from vehicle's tank?

Hello Vematics

Thank you for your feedback. For the first time, well do clean the tank and remove vapours first, just to be on the safe side smile

For the calibration, we have some high precision glass measuring cylinders of 2 liters. We will use them to calibrate larger containers. The tank seems to be between 250 and 350 liters, so i'll see how many calibration points we can program into the sensor and thus how many liters to add each time.

Installation is quite simple, just drain the fuel, positioning of the hole should be right in the middle of the tank. If you need to cut the sensor, cut it with 2 cm more so that it would have space for the spring head. Also depending on the sensor type, if it is a dut-e af you will need to calibrate it from the software after cutting. Finally just pour from 10 to 10 liters or 20 to 20 so you can do the calibration in wialon.

Thank you Florin. I know it's not that complicated but since it's the first time... a bit anxious wink

Do any of you have a good website to find schematics of fuel tanks and systems for Mercedes trucks? Wanted to find a drawing of the tanks with the factory sensor and fuel intake to make sure there was nothing at the bottom of the tank where I want to drill.

Best

RobertoS
We use such device for looking inside of tank

https://ru.aliexpress.com/store/product … yId=301102

Eduard Vald / GoGPS Service
www.gogps.eu

Hello Eduard

That's a neat piece of kit, we'll get one. Thanks for sharing the info.

Best

(15/12/2016 09:26:58 отредактировано vematics)

RobertoS пишет:

Do any of you have a good website to find schematics of fuel tanks and systems for Mercedes trucks? Wanted to find a drawing of the tanks with the factory sensor and fuel intake to make sure there was nothing at the bottom of the tank where I want to drill.

Best

As for me, I never saw technical drawing of fuel tanks used by manufacturers in free access.
Actually, we didn't need that - there is a trick you can use to check if there is any wall under drilling place: knock on the place of drilling and around it, if you hear thud - most probably there is a wall under, if sonorous - nothing under. Of course, you can use technological way as GoGPS proposed smile

Couple more words on calibration table: I would recommend as much calibration points as possible (as time allows you), not less than 10. Also, before doing calibration table, change "Signal filtration time" parameter to 0. Otherwise, you will loose 90 more seconds after each portion filling (as we did when were doing for the first time tongue ). Do not forget to put it back in the end of installation procedure.
Also, we always store calibration table in sensor's memory - I do not recommend you to store it on the server side (yes, it has one advantage, but in general on-board processing of data is more preferable to ensure accuracy of measurement).

One more advice from my experience: after calibration is done - save the table to file and save the whole sensor's profile to file  too. It would be very useful in case the sensor will break down and you will need to replace it with a new one.

Also, we always store calibration table in sensor's memory - I do not recommend you to store it on the server side (yes, it has one advantage, but in general on-board processing of data is more preferable to ensure accuracy of measurement).

hmm, I think there is absolutely no difference in accuracy of measurement, because interpolation is common procedure and can be done with same success by server or sensor.

Only difference when you want to display fuel volume onboard too (driver display). In this case you need to store the tank calibration at sensor, to have a single source of true data.

Датчики расхода и уровня топлива, системы бортового взвешивания, контроля температуры и другое оборудование для телематики
Manufacturer of fuel level/consumption sensors, onboard weighing, temperature sensors, displays.... etc.
eurosenstelematics.com
telegram channel (ENG)  https://t.me/eurosens  (RUS) https://t.me/mechatronicsby

vematics пишет:
RobertoS пишет:

Best

As for me, I never saw technical drawing of fuel tanks used by manufacturers in free access.
Actually, we didn't need that - there is a trick you can use to check if there is any wall under drilling place: knock on the place of drilling and around it, if you hear thud - most probably there is a wall under, if sonorous - nothing under. Of course, you can use technological way as GoGPS proposed smile

Couple more words on calibration table: I would recommend as much calibration points as possible (as time allows you), not less than 10. Also, before doing calibration table, change "Signal filtration time" parameter to 0. Otherwise, you will loose 90 more seconds after each portion filling (as we did when were doing for the first time tongue ). Do not forget to put it back in the end of installation procedure.

One more advice from my experience: after calibration is done - save the table to file and save the whole sensor's profile to file  too. It would be very useful in case the sensor will break down and you will need to replace it with a new one.

Thank you very much for sharing all this info with me, really great tips there.

Thanks

vematics пишет:

Also, we always store calibration table in sensor's memory - I do not recommend you to store it on the server side (yes, it has one advantage, but in general on-board processing of data is more preferable to ensure accuracy of measurement)..

can you please explain why of this?, Gurtam processing tools are better than tiny mcu avr inside the technoton sensor in terms of computational power, and if we got 'raw' data from sensor whe always can 'adjust' for example to each particular case (due the performance and comsuption are different in each kind vechicle)
thank you

--
Spread the AVL- World

small_gprs ,

1) I do not know what sensor RobertS have, but if you use DUT-E CAN without prior additional integration of data protocol, you receive level in % only. % dependes on correspondence table inside memory of sensor.
2) adjustable thermocorrection function works only inside sensor, not on the server side
3) if using 2 and more sensor on one vehicle, signal summarization (applicable to DUT-E 232 and DUT-E AF) is only possible in liters (output signal should be in liters).

If you want to adjust data from sensor , you can make additional correctional table on the server side (if changing regular to winter diesel or regular to bio)

Advanced machinery telematics. www.jv-technoton.com www.mastercan.com
Телематика сложных машин. www.technoton.by

thank you MK-TT by your reply, even tough i think themocorrection affect in significant values final value, any way thanks by the explanation.

--
Spread the AVL- World