Creating Locator Link - Hiding speed and time information

(07/07/2021 13:01:19 отредактировано stewart@gpstrackingsystem)

Тема: Creating Locator Link - Hiding speed and time information

I have had numerous requests from clients in transport and logistics to allow them to limit information provided by Locator links.

Is there any plan to provide toggle option/s for showing / hiding speed, time etc?

Most clients only want to show the location and route travelled.

Thank you

Re: Creating Locator Link - Hiding speed and time information

Hello stewart@gpstrackingsystem,

Thanks for your proposal!

So far, we have no plans to add some switches for displaying indicators that are available in the tooltip (speed, start time and etc.), since previously none of the partners ask us to do this feature.

Please tell me why you want to disable this information? Why displaying, for example, speed information might interfere your clients' use of Locator?

I would also like to clarify the following: would you like to turn off of the display at the stage of creating a link, or it would be more convinient if it could be done as with the disabling of the unit name or the movement direction arrows (see screenshot below).

I will wait for your answers and interest from other partners.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hi Nastassia

I could not see your screenshot unfortunately.

Our logistics clients use the locator to provide positional information to their customers, some of which are large mining and public-listed companies who have large safety teams monitoring many aspects of their business.

The concern is that if a truck has to overtake a slow moving vehicle, it could for a short time be above the road speed limit. We understand and advised them that the viewer would have to hover their mouse over the vehicle at the exact time it is speeding. This would be very rare. Nonetheless, we have been asked the question more than once, so raise the issue.

It would be best to select what data is provided in the locator link at the time it is created and could be positioned near Geofences and Tracks checkboxes shown in red rectangle on attached screenshot.

Apologies, I forgot to press Add File button.

Here it is

• Creating Locator Link - Hiding speed and time information

stewart@gpstrackingsystem,

I corrected my mistake and attached the screenshot to the previous message.
It seems to me that it is more correct to do the switches in the section with the settings already directly in the Locator itself. What do you think?

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello. I also think that locator should be more flexibile in configuration.
We have the same problem like @stewart, when customers share links or embed locator code into web pages and don't want to display speed, distance...etc. This should be optional from the moment you setup a locator link.
Other options like fullscreen for google maps (fullscreenControl) should be added and gestureHandling (you cannot scroll down the page on mobiles if the map is the width of the screen) should be implemented especially for mobile devices.

The Notes section should allow basic html code for 'branding' (add a logo, a link, or something) and the possibility to remove or change the title: Locator.

Hi Nastassia

I think all the decision making for what can be viewed needs to be at the point when the link is created. The toolbox in Locator itself allows the viewer to toggle on/off any settings available, which is not what needs to be happening.

I also agree with @florin1 that our branding should be considered, especially if we have Wialon whitelabelled, it should flow on to Locator and other apps too (might be another topic needed to cover this)

stewart@gpstrackingsystem, florin1, thanks for your clarification.

In general, all your ideas and arguments are clear to me. I will put all your suggestions on the product development suggestion list. But I can tell you that we are not planning any improvements to the Locator soon, so I cannot guide you on the timing of the introduction of new features. But if other partners support your ideas and talk about their needs, this will increase the task's priority in the backlog.

might be another topic needed to cover this)

If you still have suggestions for the Locator, then you can describe them all here.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon

Hello Mana,
For Locator, I had another requirement from my customer as below. I was wondering if something could be done for this as well in future enhancements.

My customer's vehicle is supposed to start from Point A and then go to his customer's location at Point B. My customer doesn't know exactly when his vehicle would reach point B, it could take 2 days or 3 days or whatever. So he wants the locator link to expire automatically whenever the vehicle reaches point B (not before or after due to hard fixed date and time).

So is it possible that we can also set an expiration date and time for the generated link based on geofence and not by hard fixed date and time?

Hello vkjain,

your suggestion sounds interesting and useful in some cases. No one has asked for this before, so it's hard to assess the value of such a feature. We will definitely think about introducing such functionality when we work on the development of Locator. No changes are planned soon, but when I have news regarding Locator improvements, I'll let you know in this thread.

Nastassia Maslovskaya
Business Analyst, Wialon